DEPARTMENT: Campaign for Smart Justice
POSITION(S) AVAILABLE: Oklahoma Campaign for Smart Justice Regional Field Organizing Position located in Oklahoma
REPORTS TO: ACLU of OK Smart Justice Campaign Manager
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: The ACLU of Oklahoma seeks an innovative and passionate individual to join our historic national effort to reduce jail and prison population by half and address racial disparities in the system as a full-time organizer through their Campaign for Smart Justice. Oklahoma leads the nation and the world in the rate of incarceration, and this role will join an energetic team looking for solutions oriented organizing opportunities to build and grow power to change what justice looks like in Oklahoma. The person in this position will have responsibility for engaging community members to lead electoral, legislative, and educational efforts to reduce the Oklahoma jail and prison population by 50% and address the racial disparities.
Roles & Responsibilities
- Under the guidance of the Campaign Manager, develop a regional plan around criminal justice reform issues that are generated through community interest and vision, and aligned with affiliate’s priorities.
- Represent the ACLU of Oklahoma Campaign for Smart Justice in coalition spaces and work collaboratively on joint efforts with community organizations and coalition partners.
- Develop strategic partnerships with community members and community-based organizations working in diverse communities of the region.
- Work with the communications coordinator to speak publicly on behalf of the ACLU of Oklahoma Campaign for Smart Justice.
- Develop, conduct, and publicize campaign relevant trainings that promote grassroots leadership, strategic issue campaigns, organizing, and coalition building on priority issue areas.
- Galvanize support of community organizations, public officials, law enforcement officers, faith leaders, business leaders, donors, and new and diverse communities for organizing campaigns.
- Work collaboratively with grassroots leaders, allies, and ACLU of Oklahoma staff to execute large and effective community actions (hearings, rallies, etc.).
- Identify, cultivate, and develop strong community leaders who will lead campaigns that pursue our civil rights priorities.
- Complete and execute work plans.
- Identify, recruit, and train ACLU members to participate in civil liberties campaigns and programs.
- Develop and implement strategies to mobilize justice involved individuals and their families, ACLU of Oklahoma members, and other allies in Oklahoma to advance the ACLU of Oklahoma Smart Justice Campaign goals.
- Help recruit, train, and manage an active volunteer pool to expand and strengthen the base of the campaign and of the ACLU of Oklahoma.
- Provide activists and volunteers with information, guidance, and training to lobby policymakers to pass legislation.
- Identify and recruit potential clients for impact litigation and work with ACLU of Oklahoma legal team to support lawsuits with the potential to affect systemic change.
- Identify and recruit potential witnesses for public hearings and speakers for press conferences to influence policymakers.
- Meet with policymakers and elected officials with guidance from the smart justice campaign manager to discuss legislative priorities, assist with vote counts, provide talking points, or discuss details of in-district meetings and events.
- Other duties as assigned.
Experience & Qualifications
- Individuals with history of incarceration or who have been directly impacted by the criminal justice system strongly encouraged to apply.
- Individuals with knowledge of current political alignments and opportunities for collaboration specifically in Oklahoma with a broad range of groups and familiarity with the political, advocacy, and community organizing landscape of around the state strongly encouraged to apply.
- Individuals with a Masters of Social Work or experience in social work environment preferred.
- Commitment to advancing the mission and goals of the ACLU and the Campaign for Smart Justice.
- Ability to work collaboratively and own part of a plan, with strong follow-through and the ability to meet tight deadlines.
- A self-starter and finisher with a demonstrated ability to manage projects and follow-through with minimal direct supervision. Strong time management skills and the ability to work under pressure. Willingness to learn.
- A commitment to diversity; respects differences of race, ethnicity, age, arrest or conviction history, immigration status, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, ability, and socio-economic circumstance.
- Attention to measurable goals and results.
- Good interpersonal and communication skills, including an ability to value and respect relationships and work across different points of view with colleagues inside and outside the ACLU of Oklahoma. A history of working collaboratively and successfully with people and organizations from diverse backgrounds and a broad range of ideological positions preferred.
- A car, willingness to travel around the state as necessary, and a current drivers license.
- Willingness to work irregular hours, including evenings and weekends.
- This position is based in Oklahoma; candidates must either reside in Oklahoma or be willing to relocate.
Compensation for this full-time position is negotiable based on experience and within the parameters of the ACLU of Oklahoma compensation scale, in a range of $35,000-$46,000
Benefits include medical and disability insurance (fully paid by employer), a 401(k) program, and generous vacation, holiday and sick leave.
Submit a letter of interest, resume, and three professional references (identifying their relationship to you and including their email address and phone number) by noon on 11/19. Email your application to:
Smart Justice Campaign Manager, ACLU of Oklahoma
Please include “Field Organizer Application” in the subject line. Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis until noon on 11/19. No in-person applications or phone calls, please. All applications will be treated confidentially.
The ACLU of Oklahoma is an equal opportunity employer. We value a diverse workforce and an inclusive culture. The ACLU of Oklahoma encourages applications from all qualified individuals without regard to arrest or conviction, race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, national origin, marital status, citizenship, disability, and veteran status.