The Policy Intern position is a unique opportunity for aspiring advocates to advance civil liberties and civil rights during the Oklahoma legislative session. Reporting to the Policy Director, the Policy Intern will be instrumental in tracking and researching legislation. This internship is open to all undergraduate university students who reside in Oklahoma.
Compensation: Interns will be compensated at $15 an hour for a maximum of 20 hours per week.
Internship Duration: January 9, 2024 - May 30, 2024.
ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Track the movement of priority legislation through the legislative process
- Conduct research to support ACLU-OK’s legislative agenda
- Monitor committee hearings and floor sessions related to legislative session policy agenda.
- Participate in coalition meetings and phone calls
- Engage in special projects and other duties as assigned
- Center principles of equity, inclusion, and belonging in all work, embedding the values in program development, policy application, and organizational practices and processes
- Demonstrate a commitment to the mission of the ACLU
EXPERIENCE AND QUALIFICATIONS
- Demonstrated interest in advocacy and/or public policy
- Ability to prioritize work under tight deadlines
- Familiarity with Oklahoma’s legislative process
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Strong interpersonal skills including an ability to resolve conflicts in a manner that respect relationships with colleagues and community partners
- Proficiency using diverse technology platforms, including but not limited to; Zoom, Microsoft Office, Outlook
Application Deadline: December 1, 2023
The ACLU of Oklahoma is an equal opportunity employer. We value a diverse workforce and an inclusive culture. The ACLU of Oklahoma encourages applications from all qualified individuals without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, national origin, marital status, citizenship, disability, veteran status and record of arrest or conviction.
To be considered for this internship, please submit a resume and cover letter with your full name and “Policy Intern Application” as the email subject to Cindy Nguyen at email@example.com.