The internship program for the Communications Department of the ACLU of Oklahoma is open every semester. This department is responsible for promoting the ACLU’s mission, its brand and its programs through media, our website, and social media. The Communications Internship offers the opportunity to learn about the breadth of the ACLU’s work and how the Communications Department supports it through branding, public relations and communications strategy, and producing content for the ACLU blog and website, multimedia and social media channels.
The internship requires a part-time semester-long commitment with a minimum of 10 hours per week and a maximum of 15 hours per week. Internships can be renewed each semester with a two semster max. Interns will be compensated at $15 an hour.
All staff, including interns, are required to have the COVID-19 vaccine unless an employee has a medical or religious exemption that makes them unable to receive the vaccine. Reasonable accommodations will be made with staff and their direct supervisor with final determination made by the Executive Director.
Roles and Responsibilities
Interns will have the opportunity to gain valuable experience by working alongside the ACLU of Oklahoma team. Responsibilities may include, but are not limited to the following:
- Participate in creating strategies to communicate our work
- Draft, edit, and post blog posts and website content
- Researching journalist coverage and advising communications staff about pitch angles and media targets
- Monitoring press hits related to the ACLU of Oklahoma
- Assisting with maintaining monthly communications calendar
- Conduct research for various communications projects
- Prepare talking points, press materials, report materials, and other communications
- Conduct research into social media and digital campaign best practices
- Prepare media lists and media coverage reports of team activities
- Assist with media outreach
- Participate in strategy discussions and meetings
- Playing an active role at affiliate events (this will occasionally require an intern to work during an evening or weekend)
- Other duties as assigned
Experience and Qualifications
The internship is open to students who have completed their first year of an undergraduate degree. Applicants should demonstrate a commitment to the mission of the ACLU. Applicants should possess:
- A strong interest in working on nonprofit communications
- Coursework or employment related to the internship
- Experience in social media
- Keen interest in current events, news reporting and writing
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills
- Ability to handle multiple projects and meet deadlines in a fast-paced working environment
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite, and conducting internet research
- The initiative to see projects through to completion
- Commitment to civil liberties and to the work of ACLU
To be considered for this internship please submit a cover letter, resume, and writing sample to Cassidy Fallik at CFallik@acluok.org.
The ACLU of Oklahoma is an equal opportunity employer. We value a diverse workforce and an inclusive culture. The ACLU of Oklahoma encourages applications from all qualified individuals without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, national origin, marital status, citizenship, disability, veteran status and record of arrest or conviction.